Wednesday 10 February 2016

Book review : Carry On by Rainbow Rowell



Simon Snow is the worst chosen one who’s ever been chosen.

That’s what his roommate, Baz, says. And Baz might be evil and a vampire and a complete git, but he’s probably right.

Half the time, Simon can’t even make his wand work, and the other half, he sets something on fire. His mentor’s avoiding him, his girlfriend broke up with him, and there’s a magic-eating monster running around wearing Simon’s face. Baz would be having a field day with all this, if he were here—it’s their last year at the Watford School of Magicks, and Simon’s infuriating nemesis didn’t even bother to show up.

Carry On is a ghost story, a love story, a mystery and a melodrama. It has just as much kissing and talking as you’d expect from a Rainbow Rowell story—but far, far more monsters.

*****

This book is a gay version of Harry Potter! And I love it. Its lighter than the Harry Potter series and the romance was adorable. This book has similar characters as in the Harry Potter series; the chosen one, the enthusiastic, loyal and brainy sidekicks,  the wise headmaster, the nemesis, the bully and so on. 

If any of you read 'Fangirl' also by Rainbow Rowell, you will notice that Simon Snow was actually a fictional character in the Simon Snow book series (like the Harry Potter series). The main character of Fangirl love the series and she wrote a fan fiction titled 'Carry On'. So basically, this book is a fiction in a fiction. I haven't read Fangirl yet though as I am not a big fan of contemporary young adult books.

I read this book in just two days and enjoyed it. The language and the plot was okay. I am a big fan of LGBT books so Carry On got me completely hooked.  There are plenty of things to like about this book. I love the love-hate relationship between Simon and Baz. I love the quotes. I love Watford School of Magicks. I love how they use 'sentences' as magic spells. And I love the ending.

I give this book 4 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment